Sunday, July 03, 2011

Where I sew

It's "Where I Sew" month over at the Pink Chalk Studio blog and during the month of July they will be doing virtual tours and "sharing a peek at the sewing spaces of some of [their] favorite designers and sewing enthusiasts. Real spaces where real people sew. "

So I thought I would share my sewing room and add it to their "mosaic of sewing rooms!"
I must say I love having a sewing room of my own. For most of my adult life, I sewed on our dining room table, as many sewers do. I didn't have an extra room to use for sewing or crafts, not until we moved into our dream house almost 10 years ago. I love the bright blue walls; they are so cheery.

A few years ago I got this wonderful sewing machine cabinet and table. It makes quilting so much easier and really any kind of sewing easier.
As you can see I sew in front of the window. I love being able to utilize the natural light during the day and being able to look outside while I sew.

I have a bookshelf to the left of my sewing table where I keep many of my patterns (in the baskets) and lots of quilting books. I also have a TV which I often have on, more for background noise.
To the right of my sewing table I have a 6 ft banquet table that I use for cutting my fabrics for clothes and for quilts. I also use it to pin and baste my quilts together before quilting them. I can easily move my chair from my sewing table to my cutting table which is really convenient.
Under my cutting table I keep projects I am working on or plan to work on, my Tutto rolling bag I use to take my sewing machine to quilt retreats, as well as my large bag that keeps all my quilting rulers.To the right of the cutting table I have a basket shelving unit that I keep lots of fabrics in, and to the right of it is my ironing board.My sewing room has a small walk-in closet where I have shelves for more fabric, batting and more projects in project bags--ready to take to a quilt retreat! Just last week I spent two days reorganizing and straightening all my fabrics. It feels so much better now that they are nice and neat.

For my birthday last month my wonderful hubby bought me a new sewing machine, a Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.0, which I love! It is going to make quilting those queen or king size quilts so much easier to quilt with the large 10" opening. I'm heading to a Brown Bag Quilt Retreat this week and am so excited to be taking my new sewing machine.
I have plans to add a design wall and to hang a couple of small quilts in my sewing room.
For now, I use my cutting table or the floor when designing a quilt's layout.

No comments: