Tuesday, September 01, 2009

A Productive August!

August was a busy month and a productive one for me. I finished more projects than I expected I might! I completed my lap size "Nine Patch Party Christmas" Quilt which now hangs on display at the the Quilt in a Day store where I work part time. It was a fun quilt to make, easy and quick! I did some basic quilting through the nine patches and free motion quilting around the poinsettias in the border.
(Here's a close-up of the quilt front)

Since this is a Christmas quilt I thought it only fitting to do a special backing, one with a cross in the middle, made from fabrics used on the front.

While I didn't finish all the projects I set out to complete, as mentioned in my previous post, I made a few I hadn't anticipated doing, including a re-useable tote, new valances for my master bathroom, two small pieced baby blankets, and a summer dress for Gigi (I fashioned a pattern from one of her other dresses!).

(It's next to impossible to catch Gigi smiling
when I snap a picture of her these days!)


(Notice her quick moving in this shot?!)
I've got another one of these cute dresses cut out to make in a pink Hawaiian fabric (one of my September projects to finish).

This month I also designed, appliqued, pieced and quilted a small wallhanging (this is a surprise gift).
I got my inspiration for this wallhanging from a napkin,
shown above with the fabrics I used.
I machine appliqued this mini quilt, with a palm tree, beach umbrella, sun and a 'surfer,' and used fabric with beach umbrellas for the border. (Machine applique is so easy when you use paper backed fusible.) I shadow quilted around the pieces appliqued and stippled in the border. My daughter loves this wallhanging so much I will most likely make her one. Actually, it looks so cute on my quilt hanger in my hallway, I think I will also need to make another one for myself!!

Oh, and I almost forgot, here's a picture of one of the quilts I finished in July:
"Our Quick Trip to Novato Quilt"
for our friends Nancee and Marc



1 comment:

Annelies said...

WOW GIRL...you have been busy!!! They are all super cute and I can't wait to make little girl dresses ( if grandbaby IS a girl )!!!!
We need to get together....or at least get scheduled to work on the same day. Hope your kids LOVE their new home. So much we NEED to chat about!!! XXX Annie